Subscribe

DFND – Fund Strategy

Reality Shares DIVCON Dividend Defender ETF

Investment Objective Fund Strategy Fund Characteristics Fund Risks
The investment objective of . . . More The Fund seeks exposure to . . . More The Fund has embedded risks . . . More

Fund Strategy

The Fund features a hedged (long/short) equity portfolio that may provide more stable returns than a long-only equity portfolio. The Fund invests 75% of its portfolio market value in the large-cap U.S. companies with the highest probability of increasing their dividends within a year, based on their DIVCON dividend health scores. The remaining 25% of the portfolio market value is used to short the large-cap U.S. companies with the highest probability of cutting their dividends within a year.

The Fund’s Benchmark Index is designed to capitalize on the theory that, over time, companies that consistently grow their dividends tend to have investment returns above the overall market and companies that cut their dividends tend to have investment returns below the overall market. The Benchmark Index is designed to select the companies for a long position that have the highest probability of increasing their dividend in a 12-month period and select the companies for a short position that have the highest probability of decreasing their dividend in a 12-month period. These probabilities are determined by Reality Shares’ DIVCON Scoring system, which is a proprietary, rules-based scoring and weighting methodology, and are expressed as a DIVCON Score and DIVCON Rating for each company.

The DIVCON Scoring system begins by identifying the 500 largest U.S. companies based on market capitalization as of the Benchmark Index reconstitution date and then narrows this universe to those companies that paid an ordinary dividend and announced a future dividend payment during the 12 months preceding such date. The DIVCON Scoring system analyzes quantitative factors that Reality Shares has determined to be correlated to a company’s likelihood to increase or decrease future dividends, and weights each factor based on its effectiveness in predicting dividend changes to produce a company’s DIVCON Score. After a DIVCON Score is calculated for each company, it is assigned a rating from 1 to 5 according to the DIVCON Rating system. Companies in the DIVCON 1 category are those determined most likely to decrease their dividend in the next twelve months. Companies in the DIVCON 5 category are those determined most likely to increase their dividend in the next twelve months.

The Benchmark Index consists of a “Long Portfolio” and a “Short Portfolio.” The Long Portfolio consists of all DIVCON 5 stocks or the 30 stocks with the highest DIVCON Scores, whichever is greater. All stocks in the Long Portfolio are reflected as long positions in such stocks. The value of the Long Portfolio reflected in the Benchmark Index is expected to increase if the prices of stocks included in the Long Portfolio increase. The Short Portfolio consists of all DIVCON 1 stocks or the 10 stocks with the lowest DIVCON Scores, whichever is greater. All stocks in the Short Portfolio are reflected as short positions in such stocks. The value of the Short Portfolio reflected in the Benchmark Index is expected to increase if the prices of stocks included in the Short Portfolio decrease. Companies are weighted in each Portfolio based on their DIVCON Scores. Companies with higher DIVCON Scores are weighted more heavily in the Long Portfolio, and companies with lower DIVCON Scores are weighted more heavily in the Short Portfolio.

The Benchmark Index will direct approximately 75% exposure to the Long Portfolio and approximately 25% exposure to the Short Portfolio. The Benchmark Index is rebalanced at the end of any calendar quarter if the value of the Short Portfolio has increased 10% or more from the last rebalancing date. The Benchmark Index also is rebalanced on any business day that predetermined net market exposure or gross market exposure levels are triggered, effective the next business day. The Benchmark Index is reconstituted annually.

★ Glossary of Terms    ▲ Back to Top

STAY in Touch with Reality

Keep up-to-date with market research, data, and insights from our team.

 Scroll to top